This Southwest Chicken Salad is packed with delicious seasonings, ingredients and flavors. It is loaded with black beans, corn, avocado, tomato, grilled southwest chicken and creamy tomatillo dressing. This recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner.
I love a good healthy salad. This Southwest Chicken Salad is right up my ally when it comes to flavor and ingredients. It uses the Grilled Southwest Chicken I posted a couple weeks ago and creates a delicious salad that truly showcases the chicken with so many complimentary ingredients.
The Creamy Tomatillo Dressing is an oldie but a goodie from the blog and my got to dressing for so many salads. It is PERFECT for this salad and really is the best finishing touch.
If you are looking for a light and refreshing meal, give this salad a try. It is spectacular and one I love to make regularly.
Southwest Chicken Salad
Recipe type: Salad
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ⅛ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoons paprika
- ½ Tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ cup chopped cilantro
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Lime wedges to squeeze over the top when cooked
- 1 packet of buttermilk ranch dressing mix, dry
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chipped
- 2 tomatillos, husked
- 1 jalapeño, take the rib and seeds out
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic powder
- juice from 1 lime
- 7 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 avocados, chopped
- Combine lime juice, chili powder, paprika, minced garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper into a large container or Zip-lock bag. Mix all ingredients together and add chicken. Marinate for at least 4 hours, can be refrigerated over night.
- Grill chicken 5 to 6 minutes per side. Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F and chicken is cooked through.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the top and cut into lengthwise strips.
- Blend mayo, dressing mix, buttermilk, and garlic in a blender until blended and smooth.
- Dice up tomatillos, jalapeno, cilantro and place in the blender.
- Juice up the lime and add that to the blender.
- Blend up all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Place lettuce in a large shallow salad bowl.
- Layer or place in sections the tomatoes, corn, black beans and avocados.
- Place grilled chicken over the top.
- Top with Creamy tomatillo dressing.